Isle Royale National Park Operating Hours & Seasons
Isle Royale National Park completely closes down in the winter. I know that’s pretty unusual for national parks, there’s usually some sort of access and availability, but closing for the winter is simply the best solution because of the extreme weather conditions and limited access to the park. Closing down for the winter also helps to protect both the wildlife which inhabits the park, and the safety of the visitors. Isle Royale National Park closes from November 1st through until mid April.
During the winter time the park headquarters are located in Houghton, Michigan, although the summer headquarters are at Mott Island on the Isle Royale National Park.
Isle Royale National Park Visitor Center Operating Hours
There are several visitor centers at Isle Royale National Park, with the following opening hours.
- Rock Harbor Visitor Center – located at the northeast corner of Isle Royale, this visitor center opens daily during July and August from 8am until 6pm, and has reduced opening hours for the months of May, June and September.
- Windigo Visitor Center – is in the southwest corner of Isle Royale National Park, and opens daily during July and August from 8am until 4.30pm, with reduced opening hours during May, June and September.
- Houghton Visitor Center – is at the east side of Houghton, on Michigan’s waterfront at 800 East Lakeshore Drive. It’s open Monday through Friday between 8am and 6pm, plus 11am to 6pm on Saturdays for the months of June and July. August through to mid September it’s open Monday through Friday between 8am and 4.30pm, plus 2pm to 4pm on Saturdays, and mid September through May it’s open Monday through Friday between 8am and 4.3pm, but closed during the fall and winter holidays.
Isle Royale National Park Administrative Offices
The Administrative offices for Isle Royale National Park have different locations during the winter and the summer months as follows;
- Summer time, May through September, located on Mott Island, Isle Royale’s south shore. Open Monday through Friday between 8am and 4.30pm, but closed for federal holidays.
- Winter time, October through April, located at 800 East Lakeshore Drive, Michigan waterfront in Houghton. Open Monday through Friday between 8am and 4.30pm, closed for federal holidays.