Rocky Mountain National Park Operating Hours & Seasons
Rocky Mountain National Park is open all year round, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, having said that, park rangers do implement area closures from time to time for safety reasons, or to protect resources. I think we also need to add into the previous sentence the two vital words “weather permitting” – because, especially if you plan on traveling to Rocky Mountain National Park in the winter time, it’s important to check that the roads are open and safe to use.
Just because Rocky Mountain National Park is open all year, it certainly doesn’t follow that the visitors centers and other facilities will remain open. Here’s some information on what facilities you can expect to be open on your visit to Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Alpine Visitor Center – is located at Fall River Pass, the junction of Old Fall River and Trail Ridge roads, but is open throughout the summer only, closed in winter, so you won’t be able to buy any sourvenirs or trail books. Incidentally, the Alpine Visitor Center is only open when the Trail Ridge Road is open . . . that’s a good indication for you.
- Beaver Meadows Visitor Center– can be found 3 miles west of Estes Park, on US Route 36. It’s open every day except Christmas Day – come on, even park rangers need one day off a year – from the end of October through to early Spring it’s open between the hours of 8 am and 4.30 pm.
- Fall River Visitor Center – is on US Route 34, fives miles to the west of Estes Park. This Rocky Mountain National Park visitor center is open every day throughout the summer, as well as the Friday after Thanksgiving from 9 am until 4pm, December 26 through December 30 from 9am until 4pm, and Presidents Day, February 20th from 9am until 4pm.
- Holzwarth Historic Site– this historic site can be visited year-round, but access to the interior of the buildings is available in the summer time only, typically from around mid June until Labor Day. It’s located on US Route 34, some seven miles to the north of the Grand Lake Entrance Station, then a walk of around a half mile from the parking lot. There’s a walking path to connect the various buildings at the Holzwarth Historic Site, Rocky Mountain National Park.
Kawuneeche Visitor Center – again this Rocky Mountain National Park is open every day except Christday Day. From the beginning of October through to early Spring the opening hours are i am to 4.30 pm. This visitor center is located at the entrance to the Rocky Mountain National Park on US Route 34, around a mile north of Grand Lake.
- Moraine Park Visitor Center – is on Bear Lake Road, around 1.5 miles from the Beaver Meadows Entrance. This Rocky Mountain National Park visitor center is open all throughout the summer, but closes in the winter time.
- Sheep Lakes Information Station – is open daily throughout the summer from 8am until 4pm, but closes for the winter.