Wrangell – St Elias National Park & Preserve Operating Hours & Seasons
Wrangell – St Elias National Park & Preserve is open year round, there are no gates on the park so there is nothing to close. Remember, however, that the park is in Alaska, winter gets there early and everything is pretty much closed down by the middle of September. Most visitors plan their trip between June and the middle of September.
What is open and when in Wrangell-St Elias National Park & Preserve
Park HQ – The headquarters and park administration center for Wrangell – St Elias National Park & Preserve is in the town of Copper Center. This facility is open all year round, Monday through Friday between 8 am and 4.30 pm.
Wrangell – St Elias Visitor Center – can be found at Copper Centre on the Richardson Highway, Mile 106.8.
- Summer opening hours (end May to mid September) are 9 am through to 6 pm every day.
- Winter opening hours are Monday through Friday, 9 am – 4 pm if staffing levels allow. It is closed for the federal holidays.
Kennecott Visitor Center – is at Kennecott Mill Town around 3 hours from the park HQ right at the end of McCarthy Road.
- Summer opening hours (Memorial Day through to Labor Day) are 10am – 7 pm every day.
- Winter opening hours are . . . there aren’t any, it’s closed.
Slana Ranger Station – is on Nabesna Road at mile 0.5, 2 hours from the park HQ.
- Summer opening hours (May – September) are from 8 am until 5 pm every day.
- Winter opening hours are by appointment only. Give them a call on (907) 822-7405.
Chitina Ranger Station – is located in Chitina, Alaska, around an hour from the park HQ.
- Summer opening hours (Memorial Day through to August 13) are from 9 am until 6 pm every day.
- Late summer (August 14 through to Labor Day) opening hours are from 9 am – 6 pm, Friday through Monday only.
- Winter opening hours – this ranger station closes for the season at the beginning of September.
McCarthy Road Information Station – can be found on McCarthy Road (no surprises there) at Mile 59, right at the end.
- Summer – this is an unstaffed kiosk with a phone line to Kennecott Visitors Center
- Winter – closed
Yakatut Ranger Station – Yakatut can only be reached by plane or boat.
- Summer opening hours (May – September) – 8 am through to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday only.
- Winter opening hours – this station is open only as staffing allows.