Everglades National Park Operating Hours & Seasons
Everglades National Park is always open, every day of the year, 24 hours per day. The park, however, is vast, located at the southernmost tip of Florida, a sprawling 2343 square miles – or 1.5 million acres for those who prefer it – and is therefore accessible in many different areas of Florida. Not all of the entrances and visitor centers are open all year round, so it’s best to check out the operating hours of each before you set off on your trip, as well as find out a little about what to expect at Everglades National Park during the different seasons.
- Ernest Coe Visitor Center – this Everglades National Park is at the main entrance to the park, Homestead/Florida City. The entrance is open 24 hours per day. The visitor center is open between the hours of 9am and 5pm from the middle of April until the middle of December, and between the hours of 8am and 5pm from the middle of December until the middle of April.
- Chekika Entrance – there is no visitor center here, just a picnic area and some great hikes so if you’re heading for this entrance to the park be sure to take your own water, food and other supplies with you. This entrance is open between the beginning of December and the end of April between the hours of 8am and 5pm – however, it’s closed due to flooding from the beginning of May through to the end of November. These hours (and dates) are subject to change – depending on the flooding, these things don’t always work to order you know.
- Shark Valley Entrance – this entrance and visitor center to Everglades National Park is open every day from 8.30am through to 6pm. The visitor center is open from 915am through to 5.15pm, however, these hours are not set in stone and are subject to change. You get the general ideal though, right?
- Gulf Coast Entrance – this entrance to the park is open for 24 hours per day. The visitor center located at the entrance is open between the hours of 9am and 4.30pm from the middle of April through to the middle of November, and 8am and 4.30pm from the middle of November through to the middle of April. These hours may, however, change.
- Flamingo Visitor Center – this is the only visitor center at Everglades National Park which is actually within the park and not accessible from outside. It’s a further 38 miles into the park from the Ernest Coe Visitor Center. The Flamingo Visitor Center is open between the hours of 9am and 4.30pm, although the lobby is open 24 hours per day for the purposes of self registration on back country sites.
Everglades National Park – Seasons
The majority of the facilities at the park are open during the busy season, the dry season which is during the winter. This is when you’ll have the choice of many different tours and programs enabling to really enjoy your visit plus learn a little bit of something whilst you’re at it. During the wet season (the summer) many of these facilities are either closed or have restricted opening hours, with less choice of recreational opportunities.