Directions to Isle Royale National Park
Isle Royale National Park is an island located on the northwest corner of Lake Superior. Vehicles are not permitted on the island, you can’t drive there or catch a bus, so if you do want to visit this wilderness island and the roadless backcountry it has on offer, then you’ve got to either catch a sea plane or a boat.
There are transport services to Isle Royale National Park from various locations around Lake Superior, namely;
- Houghton and Copper Harbor, Michigan
- Grand Portage, Minnesota
There are plenty of parking spaces available at each of the departure points for Isle Royale National Park.
Directions to Isle Royale National Park Departure Points
- By Car – Houghton is on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, 200 miles north of Green Bay, Wisconsin and 400 miles to the north of Chicago, Illinois, or 250 miles to the west of Mackinac Bridge. Houghton is located at the base of the Keweenaw Peninsula, just off US Highway 41.
- By Plane – there are daily flights to Houghton County Memorial Airport which is only 8 miles north of Houghton on US 41. From Houghton County Memorial Airport the Royal Air Service Inc. provides services to Isle Royale National Park.
- By Bus – a daily bus service to Houghton is run by India Trails.
- Onward by Boat – the Ranger III NPS ship runs from Houghton to the northeast end of Isle Royale National Park.
Copper Harbor, Michigan;
- By Car – Copper Harbor is right at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, 52 miles north from Houghton, just off US 41.
- By Plane – the closest airport to Copper Harbor is again the Houghton County Memorial Airport which is 44 miles south of Copper Harbor.
- Onward by Boat – the Isle Royale Queen IV will take you on to the northeast end of Isle Royale National Park from Copper Harbor.
Grand Portage, Minnesota;
- By Car – located in the northern section of Minnesota, Grand Portage is around 150 miles north of Duluth, just off US 61 around 50 miles to the southwest of Thunder Bay, Canada.
- By Plane – the closest airport to Grand Portage, Minnesota is at Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada, 50 miles to the northeast of Grand Portage, Minnesota. Alternatively there is the Duluth International Airport which is 150 miles to the south of Grand Portage.
- By Bus – there is a Greyhound service which runs daily to Duluth, Minnesota, 150 miles south of Grand Portage.
- Onward By Boat – two boats, the Wenonah and Voyager II are in Grand Portage to take you to the southwest side of the island for a visit to Isle Royale National Park.
There she is, taking lots of lucky people to Isle Royale National Park.